THE WEST AFRICAN EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL (WAEC) IN NIGERIA HAS DEPLOYS A NEW ELECTRONIC MEANS (Item Differential Profile) OF DETECTING EXAMINATION MALPRACTICE (COLLUSION CASES) IN OBJECTIVE TESTS
Reason for Introducing Item Differential Profile
(1) Since it is not possible for WAEC inspectors to visit all schools/centres to inspect the conduct of all examination papers, due to the geographical spread of examination centres across the country, many malpractice cases such as collusion are perpetrated during examinations.
(2) A high number of collusion cases are usually detected by examiners during the marking of Essay Scripts.
(3) There are schools/centres where almost all the candidates score very high marks in objective tests, but very low marks in the theory papers, and this has been of great concern to the Council.
(4) Collusion cases in Objective Papers previously went undetected because of lack of known technologies to detect malpractice in objective tests.
(5) A new software tool, Item Differential Profile, is now available to detect collusion cases in objective tests.
Item Differential Profile; WAEC New Tools to Stop Malpractice
2. DEPLOYMENT OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL INSTRUMENT (ITEM DIFFERENTIAL PROFILE) FOR THE DETECTION OF COLLUSION CASES IN OBJECTIVE TEST
WAEC through its commitment to combating examination malpractice, consistent
innovation, deployment of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) in its
operations, has deployed a software application for detecting cases of collusion (malpractice) among candidates during the conduct of Objective tests.
The new technological solution is capable of detecting most of the collusion cases that take
place during the conduct of objective tests in WASSC examinations, and to report on the
candidates who were implicated, using the charge sheets, that are electronically generated
by the computer.
Candidates and other stakeholders are hereby informed about this new development, so
that they would be advised to desist from examination malpractice forthwith because
ignorance will not be accepted as an excuse for any reported breach. Please be guided