What Is JUPEB
At the end this article, you will know all about JUPEB Programme and how to apply and why you need to let your ward apply for it instead of sitting down waiting for another JAMB
1. What JUPEB is and the Aim of JUPEB
2. Who is Eligible to Apply
3. Universities Affiliated to JUPEB i.e Universities and Institutions that offer Jupeb Admissions
4. How to Apply
5. How long The JUPEB Programme will last or the Duration of JUPEB Programme
6. What COurses or subjects you are to Study
7. How much the JUPEB Form costs
8. How JUPEB Certificate Exams are Set and Graded and so on.
Please Feel Free to Ask any Questions you have about JUPEB in the Comment Box below. Thank you
Table of Contents
- 1 So What Is JUPEB?
- 2 Click here to see list of universities that accept JUPEB result
- 3 What is the aim of JUPEB?
- 4 JUPEB Programme Objectives
- 5 How long will this JUPEB Programme Last?
- 6 JUPEB Programme Duration
- 7 Who is Eligible for Jupeb admissions?
- 8 JUPEB Available Courses In JUPEB
- 9 How much does JUPEB Form cost?
- 10 Does Jupeb Examination Results expire after every year?
So What Is JUPEB?
JUPEB means Joint Universities Preliminary Examination Board (JUPEB) is a new Advanced Level examination body recently established and coordinated by the University of Lagos. Basically, the programme is similar to the Interim Joint matriculation Board (IJMB) coordinated by University of Lagos (Unilag) and recognized by many universities in Northern Nigeria.
The Updated List of Universities that offer Jupeb admissions are:
1. University of Lagos (Unilag),
2. University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN),
3. University of Ibadan (U.I.),
4. Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife (OAU),
5. Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA),
6. University of Ilorin,
7. Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB),
8. University of Port Harcourt,
9. University of Benin (UNIBEN),
10. University of Uyo (UNIUYO)
11. University of Calabar (UNICAL),
12. Caleb University,
13. Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD),
14. Federal University Ndufu-Alike, Ikwo (FUNAI),
15. Bowen University, Iwo,
16. Fountain University, Oshogbo.
17. Federal Univesity of Technology, Owerri,
18. Lead City University, Ibadan,
19. Osun State University, Osogbo,
20. WellSpring University, Irhirhi, Benin City,
21. Crawford University, Igbesa and
22. Paul University, Awka
Click here to see list of universities that accept JUPEB result
The list of Universities above and other affiliate-universities plan to present candidates for the 2016 JUPEB Examinations.We expect that very soon more Universities will join the Board.
Meanwhile, the affiliated institutions have set up programmes to train candidates on the syllabus of the Board in subjects relevant to course intended to study. For example, Physics/Chemistry/Biology for medical courses, Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics for engineering courses, etc. The charges for the programme vary from institution to institution. The actual charges for the programme can be obtained at the website of the institution or through an inquiry at the institution.
What is the aim of JUPEB?
The aim of JUPEB is to see students have alternative to JAMB in gaining admission into Nigerian universities. And with JUPEB, you gain admission into 200 level of any course. Yes, you heard us right into any course
JUPEB Programme Objectives
• To source superior students for the University’s degree programmes and reduce the high rate of dropouts from the University.
• To ensure adequate preparation of eligible secondary school graduates for University work.
• To enhance analytical and independent learning abilities and promote the intellectual development as well as oral and written skills of students.
How long will this JUPEB Programme Last?
The duration of the Programme of courses for the Board’s Examination is a minimum of one academic session of two semesters. Which is 10 months in total
JUPEB Programme Duration
The duration of the Programme of courses for the Board’s Examination is a minimum of one academic session of two semesters.
Who is Eligible for Jupeb admissions?
To be eligible to take examinations leading to the award of JUPEB’s Direct Entry Certificates, the candidate must have been exposed to an intensive scheme of academic work relevant to his/her proposed university course.
• Each candidate must register, sit for Examinations and satisfy the Board in three subjects and a General Studies course relevant to the proposed course in any of the universities.
• Each subject is to be broken into four courses to be taken, two per semester, by the candidate. The results in all the courses are to be merged at the end of the second semester to obtain the candidate’s grade in that particular subject.
• Each candidate is expected to take twelve (12) courses, six per semester, and a General Studies course.
• The general Studies for courses in each University Faculty will be based on relevant General courses suggested for that Faculty by each university.
• The students upon completion of the programme will be issued certificates based on their level of performance which bear Letter Grades of A, B, C, D,E or F in each of the three subjects and General Studies Paper. For admission into each university, each candidate, in addition to passing the prescribed JUPEB examinations for issuing the Direct Entry Certificates, must satisfy all other conditions as prescribed by his/her university of choice.
JUPEB Available Courses In JUPEB
The programme is an intensive coaching curriculum aims at ensuring adequate exposure to fundamentals of concepts and preparation of eligible students for University direct entry admission and a good head start for University work.
The courses of study which are those of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) subjects include:
1. English Language which is compulsory for all students,
3. Literature in English,
4. Christian Religious Studies,
11. Islamic Studies,
13. Visual Arts,
16. Business Studies,
20. Agricultural Science etc.
Students are required to choose three subjects in addition to English.
Note: The certificate obtained by graduates of the programme will be tenable in several universities in Nigeria and in some foreign universities.
Admission is based strictly on merit and entry requirements and in proportion to the admission quota of the University for the various Faculties. The registration form for JUPEB is obtained towards the end of the training programme by the affiliated institutions for their candidates at a reasonable fee.
How much does JUPEB Form cost?
The cost of purchasing the JUPEB forms differs across Jupeb Affiliated Universities but the range is N15000.
How is Jupeb Examination Set and How is it Graded?
A mock exam that forms 30% of the total score in each subject is conducted by the institution and forwarded to the board. The Board’s exams take the remaining 70%.
The results issued by the JUPEB are graded like Cambridge A/Level results: A (5 points), B (4 points),C (3 points), D (2 points), E (1 point), F (0 point).
Three subjects are offered by each candidate. Combination of the grades forms the total point that is used as cut-off for the course applied for in a particular institution.
For example, University of Ibadan can say 13 points is the cut-off for Medicine and Surgery. That means, they can only admit candidates with either AAA (15 pts), AAB (14 pts), AAC (13 pts) or ABB (13 pts).
Does Jupeb Examination Results expire after every year?
Like Cambridge A/Level, the results of JUPEB do not expire. You can always use it to apply into same or another institution the following year. Candidates with JUPEB results can apply to JAMB for Direct Entry admission into 200 Level instead of the 100 Level for UTME.
source = http://www.jupeb.com.ng/what-is-jupeb/