Admission Into Full-time Diploma Programme In Maritime Studies, Information & Communication Technology
Closing date of application is
30th November, 2012.
The University of Benin in collaborative arrangement with Generic Technology College (GTC) London has established a Centre for Maritime Studies, Information and Communications Technology (ICT). This Centre which is the first of its kind to be mounted in a Nigerian University, runs a two-year full-time Diploma in Maritime Studies, Information and Communications Technology (ICT). The course has adequate profesional and academic content to produce manpower for the promotion of staff proficiency, capacity building and performance in the Sea Ports, Shipping, Oil and ICT sectors of the economy for middle and top management positions.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the Full-Time Two-Year Diploma in Maritime Studies, Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
- GTC has an international reputation and experience in Maritime, Information and Communication Technology. It operates a state-of-the-art facility in London which it intends to replicate in the University of Benin for the benfit of the students/graduates and the economy.
- Graduates from the Centre shall acquire both academic and practical knowledge to be employed directly into Sea Ports, Shipping, Oil, Custom Services, and other Agencies in maritime and ICT industries.
- The Diploma in Maritime Studies and ICT is recognized as a direct entry qualification into 200 level for all Engineering programmes and degree programmes in the Faculty of Sciences (Computer Science, Mathematics [Pure and Applied], Industrial Mathematics, Mathematics with Physics, Mathematics with Chemistry, Statistics with Computer Science, Physics, Geology and Industrial Physics) Faculty of Education (Department of Vocational and Technical Education) and Library Studies as well as similar institutions in the country.
- Graduates of the Diploma in Maritime Studies and ICT are also qualified for direct entry into Universities/Colleges in United Kingdom to which Generic Technology College is affiliated.
- The programme will also serve as capacity building for academic and professional enhancement of persons with innate maritime culture and traditions such as persons of the Niger delta of Nigeria e.t.c, preparatory fo the middle and high level responsibilities in Maritime and related industries, as well as provide training in modern methods of Conflict Resolution.
Lectures shall take place from Mondays to Fridays between the hours of 2.00 and 6.00pm
Students must undertake and pass a thre-month industrial training period between the first and second years of the programme.
- Credit in Mathematics, English Language and thre other subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Technical Drawing, Biology/Agricultural Science and Geography) at GCE/WASE/SSCE/NABTEB/NECO
- City and Guilds (Part 1) in any area of Engineering
- A qualification equivalent to any of the above.
What's the requirement 2? Does it mean if you have just the requirement 1 i.e. WAEC, NECO, SSCE you are not qualified to apply?